Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Love of Joie

Joie wines
About a year ago, a good girlfriend of mine, Mela, and I went to this place called the Salt Tasting Room in Gastown. It's like this little slice of heaven in a not-so-fantastic neighbourhood. The entrance of the place is in this alley that you clutch your purse in, thinking that you'll see some guy shooting up behind a dumpster. Then you open the door to the restaurant and you're transported to some other dimension. Long wooden tables, brick walls and this huge chalkboard advertising all the types of food you can pair your wine with. What's super cool? No ovens!
Website: http://www.salttastingroom.com/

We decided to have a flight of wines with food (3 types of wines, paired with 3 types of food). One of the wines we tried was "Joie: A Noble Blend". Our feedback? Simply AMAZING. It's a sweeter wine with flavours of apple. The harmony of flavours blew our minds away and it instantly ranked as my favourite wine.

I had to taste for myself if this winery was a one-wine hit place, or if all their wines were like this. Unfortunately their wines aren't sold in the BC Liquor stores (only speciality wine stores) so buying this wine is serious business for me! Plus on average their wines are about $25 which totally breaks my $20 max rule. But you know what? I broke my rules and haven't regretted it one bit. Totally worth every single penny they sell the wine for.

I had a sample of "Joie Rose" at the downtown Joey's restaurant location (which has the most selection of wines by the glass in Vancouver, by the way). Again, a sweeter wine with some floral notes to it and again, 10 out of 10 from me on this wine. I think I've bought about 5 bottles since.

My older brother, Chris, bought me the Riseling that we enjoyed the other night at our family dinner. Again, thumbs up from everyone all around. I still rank it above some of the other wines I've tried but out of all the Joie wines I've tried, it probably places 3rd.

I can't wait to try all their other types since I still haven't tried their un-oaked chardonnay and their Muscat which is sold out for 2008.

They're clearly not a one-hit wine wonder. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single type of wine they've made and others don't disagree. Recently they won TWO Lieutenant Governor General’s Awards of Excellence for their wines. Not bad considering only 12 wines get this award every year!!!

Here's a link to their website: http://www.joie.ca/2008_joie_vintage_spec_sheet.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment