Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Salad Dressings: Sweetened balsamic and garlic vinegrette

Another note to self: Never buy salad dressings again (unless it's ranch!)

Much like my obsession with bed sheets, I am constantly looking and buying salad dressings. I pass them while in the produce section of my supermarket and I can't help but salivate at some of the flavours they come up with. Like raspberry vinaigrette or Japanese Ginger or Asian Sesame. But it always ends up being a salad dressing gambling game. It might sound like heaven, but does it taste that way?

Currently in my fridge I have over 7 different types of salad dressing, the majority of which are fairly full having tried it once and deciding that I really didn't like it. But I can't throw something like that away and I can't donate it to the food bank because it's perishable. It's the salad dressing dilemma.

At the same time as this salad dressing obsession, I have also been creating my own dressings and I have to say: they are damn good. So why do I keep buying these other dressings? I don't know. I can see why I'd buy Ranch since I have no idea how to make that but all the other ones are reproducible I'm sure. You just need your basic oil, vinegar and seasonings and voila!

Mela gave me this recipe about a year and half ago and I still use it because it's really amazing:

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup mustard (I personally like the liquid kind, not the ground dry kind)
1/4 cup honey
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up and toss over salad. It's YUM!

Make it again? Hell, I make it all the time.
Rating: 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment